Recruiting has been wild lately, hasn’t it? And when recruiting heats up, so does confusion, so let’s break down everything you need to know in one convenient article. Click names for either their recruiting profiles or stats at previous colleges.
Wally Ellenson (transfer)
- Athletic guard from Minnesota with two years of eligibility left, but that’s not as important as the fact that he’s Henry Ellenson‘s older brother. Henry’s a consensus top-10 recruit in the nation who’s voiced interest to play with his brother. Both are Wisconsin natives. Can we just label this as a #DoneDeal already?
- Besides one 7-point explosion, Wally never scored more than 3 points in one game last season. Oh, and he didn’t play the last 25 games of last season as well. We don’t know if he was hurt or not, but since his freshman stats are similar, we’re not going to expect him to have any sort of statistical impact at Marquette.
- …however, he’s an NCAA-champion caliber high-jumper, so he’ll nonetheless have an incredible impact on Marquette athletics.
Matt Heldt (2015 commit)
- 4-star center out of Neenah High School in Wisconsin
- Ranked as #3 recruit in state of Wisconsin by Mark Miller
- Should provide size, post moves, touch, and scoring ability
Gabe Levin (transfer)
- Averaged 11.1 points and 7.1 rebounds at Loyola Marymount as a freshman forward
- Will switch to guard position at Marquette
- He shot the ball poorly at LMU (41% from the field, 24% from three), but it seems he and the two other top scorers were ran into the ground by being played 32+ minutes per game, as none of the three shot more than 43%. Nonetheless, 41/24 isn’t a good split.
- Rebounded and defended well at LMU (1.2 blocks/0.7 steals), but it’s uncertain how that’ll transfer over to a more perimeter-oriented role and Division I opponents
- Three years of eligibility left after he sits upcoming season
Other pickups: Matt Carlino (upcoming season is his only eligible year), Sandy Cohen (2014 commit), and Nick Noskowiak (2015 commit).
SO, THE COMPLETE 2014-2015 ROSTER:
Freshmen: Sandy Cohen, Duane Wilson (redshirt freshman)
Sophomores: John Dawson, Jajuan Johnson, Deonte Burton, Luke Fischer (only eligible for second semester)
Juniors: Steve Taylor
Seniors: Matt Carlino, Juan Anderson, Todd Mayo, Derrick Wilson
Ineligibles: Gabe Levin (sophomore for 2015-2016 season), Wally Ellenson (junior for 2015-2016 season)
SCHOLARSHIPS QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE:
- NO scholarships left for 2014-2015 season.
- TWO scholarships left for 2015-2016 season (one if you assume Henry Ellenson will fill one of those).
A FEW TARGETS FOR THE TWO 2015-2016 SCHOLARSHIPS, VIA MARK MILLER:
1) HENRY ELLENSON!
(To be honest, I’ve only heard of Diamond and Henry. Mark Miller is a very trustworthy source, though, so we’re writing it in the article anyways. There are obviously other options, such as other interested high schoolers or transfers.)
CAREER PICKUPS FOR WOJO: Matt Carlino, Nick Noskowiak, Matt Heldt, Gabe Levin, Sandy Cohen, and Wally Ellenson, along with the 2013-2014 non-seniors. …and Henry Ellenson as well? Ugh, sorry guys, I’m doing this too much. I don’t want to jinx this.
Welcome to Marquette Nation – a blog and twitter feed of all things Marquette basketball. Follow us on Twitter at @mubbnation for live updates on recruiting, games, facts, and the occasional opinion. For inquiries, contact us at email@example.com. Our email is flooded with Twitter notifications, however, so just tag us in a tweet or something, okay?