Dave Klinger, Editor. Photo: Michael Perez/AP
The Golden Eagles Alumni team in The Basketball Tournament has advanced to the Super 16 in Philadelphia to face Armored Athlete tonight at 6 PM CT on ESPN2.
Here’s the box score from the Golden Eagles’ first victory, a 95-92 nail-biter against the Illinois Hoopville Warriors. Here’s the box score from their 97-70 rout against the Spartan Heroes, a team of mostly Michigan State alumni.
GEA Players To Watch:
- Dwight Buycks has scored 27 points in the team’s two victories–both game-highs. The Golden Eagles Alumni turn to him when the game gets tough. Buycks sealed the team’s first win by drawing a foul from three and sinking all of the free-throws with only a few seconds left.
- Joe Chapman is always a threat to heat up from three. In two games so far, he has sunk ten of sixteen shots from beyond the arc. In the team’s second win, he led the team on an 11-0 run by himself. If Chapman hits a three at any time, expect him to be keep shooting.
- Davante Gardner was not able to participate in the team’s first two games due to an issue with his overseas contract. “Ox,” however, is now eligible to play for the Golden Eagles Alumni. Be ready for the fan favorite to make an impact under the hoop right away.
AA Players To Watch:
- Will Sheehey, Jordan Hulls, and Christian Watford are three former Indiana Hoosiers who headline the roster for Armored Athlete. While Watford has struggled with his shot so far, Sheehey led the team with 20 points in its first win and Hulls finished with 12 points and a 4-5 clip from three in its second victory.
- Isaiah Swann is a former Florida State guard who has so far shined for Armored Athlete. He led the team with 22 points and chipped in multiple three-pointers to help the squad grab an early lead en route to its second win.
- Roosevelt Jones is a familiar player to Marquette fans due to his recent reign at Butler. He grabbed a game-high nine rebounds in Armored Athlete’s second victory.
The Golden Eagles’ key to controlling the game is through competing for every rebound. The Golden Eagles were out-rebounded 42-20 in their first game. In their second game, they split the battle 36-36 with the help of Jamil Wilson. Hopefully, the addition of Davante Gardner strengthens the team’s rebounding abilities because Armored Athlete has so far dominated the glass. Armored Athlete grabbed 42 and 49 rebounds in its first two games with the help of David Dudzinski and Roosevelt Jones.
Prediction: Golden Eagles Alumni 87, Armored Athlete 81.
Tweet us your thoughts at @mubbnation, or comment below.