Dave Klinger (Photo: Marquette Athletics)
A win tonight at Xavier would mean…
- Marquette finishes only as low as sixth (which would happen if Seton Hall beat Butler)
- Marquette finishes as high as third (which would happen if Butler beat Seton Hall, Marquette beats Creighton, and St. John’s beats Providence)
- And, in not finishing seventh, Marquette avoids the first round of the Big East Tournament…
- …and instead starts the conference tourney in the quarterfinals.
A loss tonight at Xavier would mean…
- Marquette finishes as low as seventh (which would happen if Marquette lost to Creighton, or if Xavier beat DePaul and Seton Hall beat Butler)
- Marquette finishes as high as fifth (which would happen if DePaul beat Xavier, Butler beat Seton Hall, and Marquette beat Creighton)
- And, if finished seventh, Marquette would play DePaul in the first round of the Big East Tournament, with the winner playing Butler next.
That’s why tonight is important. Marquette wins and finishes as high as third, fully avoiding the first round of the BET for a good opportunity in a 4/5 or 3/6 seed matchup. Marquette loses and risks a seventh-place finish with another loss on Saturday (along with other scenarios), potentially costing itself an opportunity for one last good win by playing DePaul and then, if it wins, Butler, who Marquette has not yet beaten this season.
RING OUT AHOYA!
Tweet us your thoughts at @mubbnation, or comment below.